Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Traditional Piecing - Half-Square Triangle (HST)

Traditional Piecing - Half-Square Triangle (HST)

I Loved and Learned


I wanted to take this blog post and use it to talk about how much fun I'm really having with this QAL by TweloQ. The January block was an applique block, which I also posted about, so pop on over there, if you're interested. 


The February block was a traditional piecing exercise centered around the Half-Square Triangle. Let me just start off by saying, triangles are my favorite shape. I know, I'm seriously weird, but one of my favorite classes in high school was Trigonometry because we got to do so much with triangles. They're the funnest shape to do math with, hands down, and quilting with them was equally as satisfying. 


My edges are still really off, and apparently I can't measure for crap. Overall, though, I'm super happy with how this turned out! It's inspired a few quilting related purchases like a mini iron that will help me (hopefully) with my persistent iron-laziness. I think my biggest reservation is that it's huge and in the garage... I'm getting a little Clover mini-iron that I'm going to keep in my sewing table and will be able to use in the same room that I do my sewing. 

Speaking of my new sewing table, look at this beauty!


I was extremely excited when my husband bought this for me at a second-hand store. $35! The first thing we noticed is that it was missing a power cord. My handy partner is going to be helping me write my next post in which we'll spell out how we fixed that little issue. Then there will be more talking about the rest of the refurbishment. 

What's your favorite quilt block? How did you find your favorite sewing machine? And how do you keep your crafting space practical for you?


May muses whisper to you always,
Kat
Support me on Patreon
Check out my boards on Pintrest
Follow me on Twitter @KatKnapCrafts
E-mail me at katknapcrafts@gmail.com
Find me on Facebook
Follow my Google+ Page
Check out my Instagram

6 comments:

  1. Great job with your block, I am happy you are enjoying the QAL. Congratulations on your great finding: the table looks wonderful.
    To answer your questions... I don't have a favorite block, I make what I am in the mood for and my mood changes a lot! :) my sewing space is my kitchen table and a bookshelf with my fabric so I keep it simple and mostly tidy and that seems to work for me!
    I am looking forward to see your future projects!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for this awesome learning experience, Alida! I'm excited for March's square!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new treasure and the fun you are having with Alida. I really like her blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE the new machine - what a beauty! <3

    ReplyDelete